Modern Religious Experience: Reflection #5: Bongwonsa Temple and Nature Walk: "After visiting the Zen Buddhist Temple, Bongwonsa and attempting to see nature as a Taoist, answer this question: What is it about creation,..."
I believe that the reason that nature prompts humans to seek out religion is because it is so awe-inspiring. Though there are few completely natural places left in the world, nature continues to inspire people to turn to religion. Almost every spring break, my family and I used to go hiking in the Smoky Mountains. I think that these experiences, as well as being fun and memorable, were truly spiritual. When I saw the spectacular view from the top of a mountain, or a black bear and her cubs, or a waterfall in the middle of the woods, I would think "There must be a God. How else could something so perfect and breathtaking be possible?" I think that this reaction is similar to the reactions felt by people all over the world when they experience nature, especially the eastern religions. I can completely understand why people liken the Taoists would spend their whole lives contemplating and worshipping nature. Without outside interference, nature is perfectly balanced, which is a very important concept in Eastern religions. Nature also follows the Taoist concept of "wu wei" or being actively passive. Being a part of nature often inspires reflection and meditation which is why I think that the Zen Buddhist temple that we visited was built on top of a mountain, secluded away from the distractions and chaos of the city. Basically, I believe that nature is very spiritual and mysterious which is why people around the world choose to spend their lives contemplating and learning from it.
No comments:
Post a Comment